Peer Support Specialist - St. Louis, MO Telecommute
About the Job
Energize your career with one of Healthcare’s fastest growing companies.
You dream of a great career with a great company – where you can make an impact and help people. We dream of giving you the opportunity to do just this. And with the incredible growth of our business, it’s a dream that definitely can come true. Already one of the world’s leading Healthcare companies, UnitedHealth Group is restlessly pursuing new ways to operate our service centers, improve our service levels and help people lead healthier lives. We live for the opportunity to make a difference and right now, we are living it up.
This opportunity is with one of our most exciting business areas: Optum – a growing part of our family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group a Fortune 6 leader.
Optum helps nearly 60 million Americans live their lives to the fullest by educating them about their symptoms, conditions and treatments; helping them to navigate the system, finance their healthcare needs and stay on track with their health goals. No other business touches so many lives in such a positive way. And we do it all with every action focused on our shared values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation & Performance.
- Support the creation of and assist with the implementation of a comprehensive training and education program with peers, families, providers and staff.
- Assist consumers who are dealing with the most complex and difficult issues, including homelessness, trauma, physical health issues, etc.
- Establish and maintain strong collaborative relationships with existing consumer and family organizations.
- Effectively communicate plan information to consumers and consumer operated organizations and with families and family organizations as well as consumer and family rights and responsibilities, in addition to a wide array of other topics including clinical policies, analysis of data and program evaluation.
- Identify and outreach to community and leaders of ethnic minority groups to identify and develop programs that are both culturally competent and also use recovery and resiliency.
- Work with the Clinical Program Director, Clinical Director and the clinical team to implement care coordination when requested, which may include peer support as well as other community - based services designed to stabilize the consumer's condition.
- Be available to provide direct support to family members of consumers being discharged from 24 - hour care, coordinate peer coaching if available and / or to refer them to a support group.
- Collaborate with Care Managers, providers, and community agencies and organizations to facilitate access to and transition between services.
- Collaborate with Care Managers, providers, and community agencies and organizations to identify consumers and family members of consumers who may benefit from peer support. Participate in treatment planning with consumers and families who request that support.
- Work with community agencies along with and / or on behalf of consumers and families.
- High School Diploma / GED or higher
- Access to reliable transportation that will enable you to travel to client and / or member sites within a designated area (50% travel time)
- Flexibility to orchestrate and attend two evening member events per month
- 6+ months utilizing the principles of recovery and resiliency in a professional setting (i.e. concept of recovery plans, the 12 step model)
- Experience with Microsoft Word (create correspondence and work within templates), Microsoft Excel (data entry, sort / filter, and work within tables), and Microsoft Outlook (email and calendar management)
- Certified Peer Specialist license or 3+ years of experience working with patients in the mental health and / or substance abuse fields
- Previous experience working with mental health and substance abuse patients
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: healthcare, community outreach, peer support, St. Louis, MO, telecommute