Director of Bioinformatics - Minnetonka, MN
About the Job
We are seeking a Director of Bioinformatics to lead a team of data scientists and software engineers developing problem-driven pipeline solutions leveraging genomic, proteomic, and metabolomic data to advance clinical practice in the areas of oncology, pharmacogenomics, and specific disease areas.
- Lead a team working in an R&D environment and support the identification, development, and advancement of new data products for the future of the healthcare delivery system
- Work closely with business leaders, expert domain scientists, and clinicians to link “-omics” data with phenotype data obtained from sources such as electronic health records and other administrative data
- Lead a team building standardized, optimized, and customized analysis pipelines for both secondary analyses and clinical studies to advance larger research efforts
- The oversight of bioinformatics pipeline development, mentoring and development of junior technical staff, and collaboration with project leadership teams to ensure fidelity of implementation
- Have the opportunity to grow a team, manage allocation of resources, and provide formal leadership to a team of talented data scientists and engineers
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in quantitative field such as Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computational Biology, Data Science, Engineering, or related field
- 5+ years of experience developing bioinformatics pipelines in biomedical research environments
- Experience developing and optimizing bioinformatics analysis pipelines for WGS, RNASeq, SV, CNV, Microbiome, and Epigenomics
- Familiarity with biological data formats such as FASTQ, BAM, CRAM, VCF, RPKM, and TPM
- Formal management experience
- Experience with clinical data
- Experience with interpretation pipelines and clinical report generation
- Experience with applying machine learning / deep learning on genomics data
- Experience with high-performance computing and accelerators such as FPGA, GPU
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Director, Bioinformatics, Minnetonka, MN, Minnesota